Experiential learning with horses
There is a gap between theory and practice; between awareness and action; between what we know and what we do. We move from knowing to doing when changes take place at a deep neurological level – through insights (‘aha’ moments) which create complex new neurological connections.
Leaders require a dynamic combination of self-awareness, multiple intelligences and highly developed interpersonal skills. Knowledge informs; skills are developed through practice – requiring an experiential approach which allows participants to observe and learn from the impact of their behaviour. LeadChange holds up the mirror to behaviours and facilitates rapid personal development. The experiential nature of the learning ensures high transferability to the workplace.
LeadChange courses with horses
LeadChange has been delivering leadership development, communication and team building experiential workshops with horses for corporate executives and leaders since 2002 – with results that are frequently described as ‘life-changing’.
LeadChange courses combine interactions with horses (on the ground – not horse riding) and non-directive coaching in powerful learning experiences, through which participants explore and expand their emotional intelligence, leadership, communication and influencing capabilities.
Interacting with horses at liberty (not on lead ropes) demands the same personal qualities that make for effective communication and relationships in work and life – awareness, clarity, focus, intention, energy, empathy and influence.
Watch our video to learn more about the experience we offer:
Horses are adept at picking up and responding to human intention and non-verbal communication. They provide instant, honest, accurate feedback in the moment – creating experiences which get to the core of issues quickly, powerfully and effectively. Horses do not role play. If you want a horse to co-operate and follow, you must demonstrate real leadership. Up to 93% of meaning is communicated non-verbally. With their prey instincts and hypersensitive awareness, horses size people up instantly and accurately. The feedback we receive tells us time and again that the learning is highly transferable and the changes are sustainable.
How it works
- Location: We are geographically flexible so can run at locations, across the UK and internationally, which are convenient for our clients. We have a network of horses and venues all of which are carefully selected to adhere to our high standards from both a client experience and horse care perspective.
- Weather: The sessions are a mix of classroom sessions and working with the horses in an indoor riding arena so we are not affected by weather conditions.
- Length: Workshops are typically one day. We also run half days, and work with clients to develop series of workshops that are part of an integrated programme.
- Numbers: To ensure the best possible experience the equine sessions are limited to groups of up to 7 participants per facilitator / horse. We can have several facilitators running groups simultaneously so can work with large numbers of participants.
We are specialists in the delivery of equine-facilitated programmes for corporate leadership, communication and team development. We have MBAs and chartered psychologists on our team with leading-edge facilitation and coaching capabilities.
We run taster events and ‘train the trainer’ courses throughout the year. View our calendar to find out what’s coming up in the next few months.
We also have a charity, HorseHeard, working with horses to promote positive emotional health and resilience outcomes for children, young people and adults in need. Find out more at www.horseheard.com
This summary is provided in the spirit of communicating in plain English. It does not replace or supersede the content of our formal policy below.
1. If you are a client we sometimes need to get personal and other kinds of data from you for the purposes of doing business with you and providing our services to you. Occasionally we will need to share it with partner organisations where they are providing part of the service. In the language of GDPR we hold this data under the label “legitimate interests”.
2. If you are someone we would like to work with we may keep your details so we can contact you about our services. We need your permission to contact you for this reason and you can ask us to stop at any time. In the language of GDPR we hold this data under the label “consent”.
3. If you are an Associate we need to keep, process and share your profile data so we can match your skills to opportunities. As this process is a core to the LeadChange Associate model works you are assumed to have provided consent for us to use the data for this purpose when you provide it. However, in the language of GDPR we hold this data under the label “legitimate interests”.
4. We will use processes, systems and good practice to protect your data from hackers and others. We will never sell your personal data.
5. GDPR gives you a number of rights around your data, including the right to see the data we hold, and – subject to some limits – the right to ask for data to be deleted. See section 8 below for more detail.
6. Unless otherwise agreed with you, we will hold your data for up to two years after we last hear from you, unless we are required to do so for legal or auditing purposes.
7. We use ‘cookies’ on our website to see how people use the site and to keep a record of whether you are happy to accept cookies. Although it is possible to link analytical data with individual ISPs we do not do so in practice.
8. If you have any comments, questions or concerns about this policy or how we store, process and use data please contact Rosalie Millard-Evans firstname.lastname@example.org